Wednesday, December 31, 2008

History, In the Making

It's been a bad day, you've been looking back
And all you can see is everything you wish you could take back
All your mistakes, a world of regrets
All of those moments you would rather forget
I know it's hard to believe
Let me refresh your memory

Yesterday is history
And history is miles away
So leave it all behind you
Let it always remind you of the day
The day that love made history

You know you can't stay right where you fell
The hardest part is forgiving yourself
But let's take a walk into today
And don't let your past get in the way

Yesterday is history
And history is miles away
So leave it all behind you
Let it always remind you of the day
The day that love made history

Would you believe that you are history
In the making, in the making?

Every choice that you are making
Every step that you are taking
Every chain that you are breaking
History is in the making
Every word that you are saying
Every prayer that you are praying
Every chain that you are breaking
History is in the making
History is in the making
History is in the making

Yesterday is history
And history is miles away
So leave it all behind you
Let it always remind you of the day
The day that love made history

Oh, history is in the making

--Matthew West-History


I think this song is appropriate to quote on the eve of the new year. It is so hopeful and encouraging.

This year has been a good one, full of triumphs and joy. I was going to write a very detailed summary, but that's what I was going to do last year…and it didn't happen. So, I'm just going to go for some highlights.

These are some of the wonderful things I've experienced in the last year (in no particular order):
• I had a wonderful birthday party with fifty people and it was great to know that my friends traveled so far to celebrate with me.
• I started learning guitar in February and am still playing! I love it!
• My family got to go to Washington DC and spend a couple days with Sarah Greek and attend the Rebelution conference, and meet some more rebelutionaries.
• I had a great time at Teenpact and met more new friends.
• We attended a new church for a brief time. We didn't make many lasting connections there, but one friend that I kept contact for a little while was a great encouragement to me in my song writing.
• Song writing? Yes, I've been writing songs! Mostly on the piano, but some on the guitar too. As of two days ago, I have 12 songs done, including one Christmas song.
• I also have started voice lessons, which are going very well. Even after only two lessons, my friends say they see great improvement in my singing.
• I got a new iPod for Christmas (which I named Bella, after the Bella in the movie of that same title), so I've started running again with it.
• Alejandra visited me a couple times this year. The first time, I almost died. ;-)
• Tatiana and I got to visit our friends in Rhode Island and see Coburn's play! We stayed up until 2 in the morning, talking. That was one of the most encouraging talks I've had in a while.
• Soulfest was an amazing time. We stayed with our cousins and dear friend Rachel along with our Japanese exchange student. It was at Soulfest that I decided to not buy any new clothes for a year. It's been five months and…it's a little hard, but I've been able to use my money so much better! Also at Soulfest, we got to meet some new friends, hang out with old ones and get BarlowGirl's autograph in my Do Hard Things book.
• The Art Music Justice Tour that came to Gordon College was fabulous and inspiring. That's when I decided to sponsor my third child, Uwamahoro. She's from Rawanda. Radia is from Ethiopia and Jacinta is from Mozambique. I love child sponsorship programs! It's so awesome to get the letters from them! I got to meet and hear talks by Sara Groves and Brandon Heath the next day.
• My family and I got to volunteer with blood:water mission at the Love Came Down at Christmas concert and because of that, we met Jars of Clay! I also met Leeland and got them to autograph my Do Hard Things book.
• While we're on the topic of concerts, I went to the Matthew West, Jeremy Camp, Tobymac concert for my birthday and it was the best over all show that I've ever been to.
• Graduation parties this year were fun! And I'm glad I got to see my friends Esther, Evan, Hannah and Corinne over breaks! Actually, I get to see Esther and Evan more than that!
• There was an awesome Thanksgiving break bowling party!
• Dad took me and my sisters out for his and Mom's 5th anniversary. So sweet.
• Worldview Academy was an awesome, awesome time! I met so many wonderful people and went street witnessing which was the best ever!

I think those are most of the cool things that happened this year! Thank you all for being great friends!

Happy New Year!

2 comments:

Lilly said...

Hey!! My Family just started a blog and I get sssooooo discouraged because no one ever posts a comment!! I usually never post any comments on other blogs i follow but I felt God pushing me to on yours!! Keep up the great work serving HIM and keep up the blog posts!!

Buttercup said...

Yeah! Another Jesus Freak! I am a total Jesus Freak, and a fool for Him! I found you on the Rebelution. God Bless!