Monday, November 10, 2008

A Wonderful Reminder

During a recent down time in my life, I was despairing about my future, not knowing what God wants me to do. After relaying this all to a friend, they told me that they were sure that with how much time I spend reading the Bible, that I would find God's will for my life.

This reminded me of something that is easy to forget sometimes. It reminded me that no matter how much we have read the Bible, it will still speak new to us in different trials. We may have read it five times, and get a little lethargic about looking for meaning in it, but that's a dangerous habit to fall into.

I believe that in any problem we are experiencing, the Word speaks anew to us and will lift us out of our trials. It is important to grasp as much meaning out of it as we can, every time we read it. It's like food; we never get to a point where we say, "I've eaten for the past 6,532 days and I think I've had enough nourishment, so I'm going to take some time off from eating." That would be ridiculous. Yet, Jesus said that the Bible is the bread of life. It is just as ridiculous for us to get lazy about reading the Bible as it is for us to get lazy about eating.

If you're dismayed, the Bible offers hope. If you're confused, God's Word gives direction. That's what I'm basing my life upon.

2 comments:

evanjmcgann said...

It is great. I like your analogies :).

Tom said...

The Bible, along with the Holy Spirit will always direct our paths. No mater how much we might drift off the path He has for us, all we have to do is to turn to Him again and He will put us right back on. I am a good example of that.