Saturday, November 1, 2008

Trusting In God, Not the President

Politics has never been of extreme interest to me. I just found it kind of boring. The suits, the laws, the buildings--it all seems so separate from every day life. But I know the importance of it and have overcome my initial distaste for it. In classes I have taken and from books I have read, I have learned the necessity of making God the center of any governmental workings. The leaders for our government should have beliefs that line up with our Creator's. The legislation they implement should reflect His standards. I am in no doubt that many of my brothers and sisters in Christ are in agreement with me on these ideas. But I have noticed a saddening trend these last few weeks leading up to our presidential election.

A lot of Christians have been supporting McCain because "he's not as bad as Obama." They say he's pro-life. He in fact has said,
"I’d love to see a point where [Roe v. Wade] is irrelevant, and could be repealed because abortion is no longer necessary. But certainly in the short term, or even the long term, I would not support repeal of Roe v. Wade, which would then force X number of women in America to [undergo] illegal and dangerous operations.[1]"
That hardly seems pro-life to me. But, everyone says, there is no one else to choose from. We don't want Obama, who is unashamedly pro-choice. That leaves us with no other option, right? Mustn't we choose McCain then? At least fewer babies will have to die then. But they are leaving something huge out of the equation: God.

It seems to me, that it would not be the will of God for a man, who will not support repealing legislation that kills innocent children for no reason, to become president. Then why are we voting for it? God's way is not for us to compare people to the worst, but to compare them to Christ. I know that no man measures up to Him, but how can we support a man that openly goes against God's commands?

People in this voting season seem to be having a hard time being on the losing side, but what are we as Christians? We lose every time by the world's standards. We cannot be copying their way of thinking. With Christ we are victors and He does not work by the ways of the world. If I were of voting age, I could not choose either of the main candidates, but I pray that God works a miracle this election day.

[1]San Francisco Chronicle, August 19, 1999.

3 comments:

Evan McGann said...

I don't think that either candidate is near perfect, but I'll still be voting. I don't think it would be right If God's people didn't have their say in the our government in some way. :/

Evan McGann said...

and of course its not a politician that our country needs.

evanjmcgann said...

there are a few third party candidates that seem to have better stances on abortion and such... they just don't seem to stand a chance. :/