Tuesday, September 2, 2008

Living Beyond The Moment

I didn't post yesterday, because I forgot that it was a holiday and we were gone at a party all day. As you'll notice though, I did write an article during my absence. I'm back now and hoping to post every day, but life does get busy, so please excuse me if I don't.


At the end of the day, I'd be glad that I read my Bible, my daily bread. But in the moment when my alarm goes off at 6am, I'd rather sleep in until I just have enough time to shower and grab breakfast before being gone all day.

At the end of the day, I'd feel great satisfaction having spent time with my younger siblings, teaching them and being a good example. But in the moment, during the afternoon, when I'm feeling sluggish, I'd rather reply to my emails.

At the end of the day, I'd love to spend time talking with my Savior. But in the moment, I'd rather just zone out and fall asleep quickly.

At the end of the day, I'd feel good if I had aching muscles, knowing that I gave myself a good workout, knowing that I'm getting stronger. But in the moment, when I'm already exhausted at 10am, I'd rather just check my Facebook account.

At the end of the day, I'd feel wonderful if I had eaten healthy food all day, avoiding the sugar and the wheat that makes my stomach swell. But in the moment, when everyone at the party is having desert, I'd rather just eat the cookies.

At the end of the day, I'd like to have done all my chores, leaving the house neat and orderly. But in the moment, when things are chaotic and I feel overwhelmed, I'd much rather just escape from the mess and play my piano.

At the end of the day, I'd be incredibly content, having done some serious reading, stretching my mind. But in the moment, when I have a headache and my brain is lazy and exhausted, I'd rather just lay down.

At the end of the day, I'd feel satisfied if my to-do list had everything checked off, knowing that I kept on task. But in the moment, when the list seems daunting, I'd rather just organize my closet again.

At the end of the day, I'd feel awesome having stood for my beliefs and acted on my convictions for the glory of Christ. But in the moment, when the pressure's on, I'd rather just blend and go with the flow, even if it means compromising a little.

Living in the moment is so comfortable, so easy, and it feels so...right at the time. Living for the end of the day satisfaction, knowing that I served Christ well and didn't bring shame to Him is hard. Well, really hard. Impossible without Christ. But I can do all things thought Christ who strengthens me.

At the end of the day, I feel great, knowing that I pushed myself to the limit, stood on my convictions, served the Lord well, depended on God for my strength and didn't just go through the motions again. Because in the moment, I conquered my selfish desires and looked beyond it and did hard things for God. At the end of that day in that moment, I feel wonderful.

2 comments:

Micahlangelo said...

I really love this one!

TOM said...

Keeping an eye on the reward does make it easier to get though times that challenge one both physically and mentally. Keep looking forward!