Sunday, May 11, 2008

10 Reasons Why My Mom Is Amazing

1. She Homeschooled Me
Being homeschooled was so wonderful for me. I got to study at my own pace, pick what I wanted to learn, not have the pressures of an unhealthy social environment and even graduate early!
2. She Gave Me Good Freedom
She didn't let me run wild, and she never pushed me into doing things that I didn't want to, if it wasn't a moral issue. She let me choose my tastes and be myself.
3. She Set High Standards For Me
I knew from an early age what things were good for me to do and what weren't. My mom didn't just tell me what to do and what not to do, though. She explained why I should do those things and made me want to uphold godly standards.
4. She Pushed Me Out Of My Comfort Zones
This may be a shock, but naturally I'm a very shy, withdrawn person. Just a couple years ago I would stand in the corner at social events, seeking to be unnoticed. My mom pushed me, though, teaching my good social skills, introducing me to people, and strongly encouraging me to meet new people myself. (Funny story: When we were at the Rebelution conference in Indy last fall, the night before, we stayed at a hotel. Everyone else there was going to the conference, too, and a bunch of teens were in the parking lot. My old nervous anti-social nature kicked in and I stayed in our room, put on my pajamas and got in bed at 7:30. My mom would not tolerate that, so she literally dragged me out of bed and made me go down and hang out with them. Good thing, too, since I met a good friend that I still keep in contact with. I had an awesome time that night, singing praise songs with them until 11.) So yeah, if you're reading this, there's a good chance we wouldn't be friends if my mom hadn't pushed me to be more social.
5. She Taught Me What Really Matters
Thanks to my mom, I think I have a proper view of what's of worth in this life. She showed me that people are always important and to be polite, kind and loving to them, no matter how much of a hurry you're in to get things done.
6. She Didn't Give Up On Me
Yes, even little Miss Perfect Katrina has some pretty severe faults. My mom loved me in spite of them. 'Nough said.
7. My Mom Let Me Stay Home From College
I know a couple girls who would've like to do the same, but were pressured into going by their parents. I love that Mom lets me be at home and prepare to fill my God-given role as a woman.
8. She's Really Cool
This may seem funny, but anyone that knows my mom well can vouch for this. Some of the cool things she's done are owning a Mustang, riding a motorcycle on ice, burning rubber in our Camaro, and picking me up from youthgroup with Switchfoot up to max volume. (The last one used to embarrass me, but that was when I was stupid :P)
9. She Cares About My Friends
Every night she asks me something like "What's up with ____?" "How is _______ doing?" "Are things better with _____ yet?" It means a lot to me that she cares about me and cares about the other people that I care about.
10. She Led Me To Love and Follow God
This is by far the most important thing. Perhaps part of it was because of the other nice things; she reflected God's love for me, by loving me herself. I cannot be grateful enough to her for teaching me the ways for the Lord. I'll never be the same...

Thank You, God, for my great mom!

2 comments:

Micahlangelo said...

Wow! That's awesome! Sounds like the 2nd best mom I know. ;) Sorry, but I already took number 1

Jonathan said...

Yeah it is a good thing your mom pushed you out of your comfort zone! :D