Saturday, January 5, 2008

My Decision

When I first wrote of the importance of family, I promptly dropped the topic, realizing that I had little knowledge on the topic. During my absence, I actually did quite a bit of research on the Biblical structure of the family. It seemed like a good thing to study since I would be home for at least a year with my family. I had no idea how much my thinking would be changed.

I've come a long way since I first feebly tried to explain to a single career woman my plans for this year. When I told her that I wanted to stay home for a while and not work much or go to school yet, for the purpose of learning how to be a better sister and how to run a home, she in essence told me that it would be a waste. I later said the same thing to a mother of nine and she told me that it was a wonderful idea. Not having much to go on, but having this strong feeling from God that I should stay home, I made the decision to stay home for a year. Thank God that I could hear Him well enough to do that.

In the months since March, when I graduated, I have read several books, listened to CDs and watched DVDs that taught me the Biblical role for women and daughters, and I have been incredibly blessed by them. I was here at home for the past nine months, struggling with the idea that I didn't really know what I was doing and that I was the only girl I knew that wasn't going off to college after highschool. All I knew was that I didn't want to have that life, but could not really see the goodness of staying home. I have learned so much.

These various resources have taught me that the main purpose of a woman's life is to be a helper to a Godly man, first her father and later, Lord willing, her husband. The time after high school does not have to be wasted time for a girl until she gets married. This is the time when she is supposed to be learning how to care for children, how to cook, clean, do laundry, manage finances, plan schedules, and most importantly, submit to her father. All these things will help her family in an invaluable way and prepare her for marriage if she does marry.

The general culture may think all these things to be menial tasks and a waste of potential, but this is indeed the life God has planned out for females which He clearly tells us in the Bible. I don't know how so much of the Christian culture is missing this. I was very relieved when I started watching and reading about girls like me that have decided to stay home from college and a career, to serve their families and prepare for their future families. So, here's the official announcement: I'm not going to college. I'm staying home to serve my father and my family, by God's strength.

P.S.
These are some of the resources that have been helpful to me:
DVDs: The Return of the Daughters
Eden String Quartet
Books: So Much More
Passionate Housewives Desperate for God
CDs: Bewitched by the World
Home Is Where the Heart Is
Strength & Dignity For Daughters
Making Wise Decisions about College and Life After Home School

No comments: