Friday, June 1, 2007

The Importance of Family--Intro

"No way!" I exclaimed with a shocked expression on my face. "You're sisters?"

I had known this girl for many years and gone to many events with her. In my group of friends she was one of the more popular ones in the younger half. The shocking news that she had just told me was that she was the younger sister of one of the older popular girls. This came as such a shock to me because they seemed like the most separate personalities in the whole group. Whenever we all got together, they would come with different people in different cars and sit on opposite sides of the room, rarely speaking to each other.

I was immediately repulsed by the idea that they were sisters. The idea that sisters--Christian sisters--could hardly get along with each other was a disgusting one to me. That at least was my immediate reaction. At first, I could not figure out why I was so disturbed by this. The more I thought about it, the more my ideas and feelings confused me. I determined to find a conclusion.

For months now, I've been wanting to write a blog post about the importance of family. But I have encountered major snags, complete detours and severe writer's block in this process. It is really a hard topic to write about. Family is not a heavily covered topic in the "mainstream" Christian groups. You could go to church your whole life and the closest you'd get to hearing about the importance of family is maybe a sermon on the fifth commandment. But having a Christ-honoring family seemed to be a lot more important that people make it out to be. I determined to find some answers.

Unfortunately these answers are not coming easily. I still don't have even half of them. I am starting this though, to share some of what I discovered so far, and hopefully I'll learn more through this writing process.

Check back soon for more...

1 comment:

Hannah said...

What a difficult topic to address, Katrina, but it seems you're off to a good start! I look forward to seeing the rest of the series.