Thursday, May 24, 2007

Sore Knuckles

This poor blog has long been neglected--far too long. I apologize to all my family and friends, and whoever is now reading this, that I have taken so long. I have a good reason, or rather, a bad reason for not posting in so long. I have felt uninspired recently and also very confused about things. But I’m finally not feeling so confused and have been inspired, so this blog is officially in commission again.

One thing that I have been thinking about recently is God's will for us and how we find out what that is. Lots of times, we Christians use random circumstances to "determine the will of God." If opportunities suddenly come up, sometimes we have this tendency to take it as the final will of God. We think that God just drops the right answers and decisions into our laps all the time. This isn't always bad. Sometimes God does give us an obvious or easy answer to our problems. But there are some Biblical principles that I think we ignore too much. The main one I was thinking of is knocking on doors.

Jesus said "Ask and it will be given to you; seek and you will find; knock and the door will be opened to you. For everyone who asks receives; he who seeks finds; and to him who knocks, the door will be opened." I think that we often neglect these important aspects of our faith. We like Gideon look for the will of God in obscure things instead of seeking and asking for His guidance and knocking on the doors. We seem to look at all the doors we can go through and go through the open ones, rather than knocking on the closed ones.

Just because doors are already open for us does not mean that we should go through them. If you are just walking through a neighborhood to go to someone's house, you don't look for the first house with an open door and go through that one. Instead, you go to your friends' house and knock on their door, never assuming that since it's closed that you shouldn't take visiting them as an option anymore. That would be totally absurd. But I think we do this too often in the area of seeking God's will.

I'm reading this book right now by Frank Peretti called Piercing the Darkness (sequel to This Present Darkness). It is about a town struggling with average type problems that you read about in the news all the time. But the unique thing is that the author tries to portray the invisible struggle of the demons and angels "behind the scenes" of all that is happening in the town. It really shows me how much demons probably try to trip us up with little circumstances and confusions. I can just picture them all holding wide the doors and us blindly walking through under the delusion that we are following God's will, when all we had to do was knock on some other ones.

So I encourage you to build up some calluses on your knuckles knocking on doors. Try new things. Step out of your comfort zone and ask tough questions of God because he surely has all the answers. Prayerfully seek God's will and you will find it.

2 comments:

caleb gage said...

Exellent post Katrina! Welcome back :)

CloudWatcher said...

I like that a lot......never thought of it that way...