Monday, March 12, 2007

The Cliff

A lot has happened to me the past few days. On Friday I finished all of my highschool studies, complete with a graduation party on Saturday. I finished highschool just in time to turn 16 yesterday. I would like to say how much I want to do with the rest of my life, which college I plan to go to and all, but I really don’t know what God wants me to do yet. Here is what I said in my “valedictorian” speech on Saturday:


I would especially like to thank my dear friend Phoebe for inspiring me to graduate early. Phoebe originally started school a year early so that even though she and I are the same age, she was always a year ahead of me in school. That really bugged me and I wanted to catch up with her somehow. But I was already in 8th grade and I couldn't just skip ahead to the next grade at that point. After giving it very little thought, I spontaneously decided to just do ninth and tenth grade last school year. Since it went so well, I figured that I'd give eleventh and twelfth grade this school year. I figured that if it didn't work, I'd just do my junior and senior year in the next two years like everyone else. Well, it did work. Yesterday I completed my senior year of highschool!
Now this is a monumental jumping off point for me. It actually feels just like that. It feels like I've been running across a plain towards a giant cliff with a vast ocean at the bottom and all that I've managed to do by finishing school two years early, is run the distance two years quicker than most people. The past week, I've been thinking about what I'm going to do Monday morning when I wake up. I've been emotionally dragging my feet this past week, wishing that I could just stop and not have to worry about driving, getting a job and all. But something on Thursday clicked in my head and I realized that I was just not trusting God as I should. I know that my God will not let me down.
There are so many decisions I could make at the time, so many resolutions I could make, and so many goals I could set. But as Proverbs says, "Many are the plans in a man's heart, but it is the LORD's purpose that prevails." So in spite of a desire to plan out the rest of my life right now, or even just the next year, I'm only going to attempt to do one thing. I'm just going to trust God with my whole life and all the rest will follow. If I trust God, I have nothing to plan. If God has taken me this far, he will give me the wings as eagles that I need to fly when I reach the edge of my cliff.

For all of you who are curious what I ­did do this morning, I read the driver’s manual… and… (you should feel the excitement building!) I got my driver’s permit! I just came back from driving to my church! So, I may not know what all I’m doing these next few months, but driving is about at the top of my list.

2 comments:

Celeste said...

Congratulations on graduating and getting your permit! Sounds like you have been really busy! Are you planning on going to college?

Sarah said...

I've told you before, but congratulations once again. :) Keep up the good work, Katrina! May God lead and guide you in this next chapter of your life.

Thanks for linking to me! I've returned the favor. That means that I will have a constant reminder to come around more often. :D

God bless!