Saturday, February 10, 2007

Trusting God In the Fog


I get very worried when people come up to me and ask me if I applied to college. I tell them that I don’t believe that God wants me to yet, but they just don’t understand.

“Aren’t you a senior?”

“What will you do, then?”

“Don’t you want to go to college?”

“Are you going to start applying now?”

“Are you going to get a job and save up then?”

And my favorite: “Where do you want to go to college?”

I try to explain myself again and leave the conversation shaking my head. They just don’t understand.

I try to live by the principles in Matthew 6:34: Take therefore no thought for the morrow: for the morrow shall take thought for the things of itself. Sufficient unto the day is the evil thereof. Not that I never think about tomorrow. I still haven’t completely figured out this verse. But I do believe that doing my highschool work is enough for today.

Of course…there are times when I do worry about tomorrow. The other day I was thinking about what I’m going to do next month when I’m done with highschool. I thinking about my future and how there seemed to be nothing to look forward to. In my despair I sobbed to my mom, “My life is about to end!”

She smiled at me, gave me a hug and said, “Oh, no it isn’t! It’s just about to begin!” My mom is always encouraging me in ways like that.

I was thinking about the significance of what my mom said. When I am done with highschool, so much more opportunities will be opened for me that I just cannot see right now. It’s as if I’m in the fog right now and cannot see what will happen to me.

All this while, I’ve been worrying that when I walked through to the other side of the fog, that I would be faced with a shear-faced cliff that I would plummet off. But when I think of God’s promises, I know that this is not true. In Jeremiah, the LORD says, For I know the thoughts that I think toward you…thoughts of peace, and not of evil, to give you an expected end.

I know that once I get to the other side of the fog, I will encounter a landscape more beautiful than I have ever seen. I know that God has an awesome, wonderful, beautiful, marvelous plan for me! It may be walking through a beautiful field of flowers, or I may in fact encounter a cliff. But I know that God will give me the means to climb it and will not let me fall. I will not be disappointed if God chooses the harder road for me. After all, the best views are seen from the high places.

And, even if I do fall from the cliff, even if the future still looks bleak when I get to the other side of the fog, I know that when all is said and done, and the fog of this world is all cleared, I will be home my Savior.

4 comments:

Rebecca said...

I know EXACTLY what you're going through.. because I'm going through the same thing. I'm finished with high school in a couple of months.. but I have absolutely no idea what I'll do after that. I get those same questions... they're hard to answer, aren't they?

May God bless you! I know he'll tell you exactly what to do when the time is right..

Tom said...

A very mature perspective. One that a lot of adults still have trouble grasping. The essence of faith is trust. You will be tested time and time again reguarding this matter. How you respond will determine how the Lord will be able to work in and through you. When you "do hard things" like trusting God, He will make your paths strait.

Heidi said...

Hi Katrina!

I just clicked over from the Rebelution site and thought I'd leave a comment. I enjoyed reading the article!

From my side of things, it looks like I may not even be finishing highschool. *laughs* Sometimes it's quite - intersting - to be different from the world. Keep looking to Him!

Heidi

CloudWatcher said...

I have to say I can relate.....this post has really encouraged me...thank you.