Friday, November 17, 2006

Music

Music is a very important part of our lives. For me, it gets me through hard times in my life and encourages me. I have noticed though, a discrepancy between what Christians believe and what music they listen too. They believe swearing and sexual immorality are wrong, yet they listen to songs with swears and that glorify fornication. Whenever the Bible talks about music it has to do with praising God. Ephesians 5:18-19 says: "...be filled with the Spirit; speaking to yourselves in psalms and hymns and spiritual songs, singing and making melody in your heart to the Lord..." and Psalm 149:1,3 says: "Praise ye the LORD. Sing unto the LORD a new song, and his praise in the congregation of saints. Let them praise his name in the dance: let them sing praises unto him with the timbrel and harp." So how do 50 Cent and Christina Aguilera fit in to the Biblical views of music? One thing that I do to evaluate all that I listen to or do is to ask myself if Jesus would do it. Ephesians 5:1 tells us to "be imitators of God." Would Jesus listen to Eminem? I don't think so. I've had to give up some of my music by following this principle, including some bands that people consider Christian. I just had to give up Stacie Orrico. I was going to put her in the link of my favorite bands, but when I looked up her site, I was disappointed by the pictures of her. She was wearing clothes Jesus definitely wouldn't approve of. As for other bands, even if the lyrics of songs are good, I don't think screaming is a God-glorifying activity. Evaluating the bands you listen to will be an ongoing thing. People change. Bands I used to listen to I just can't anymore, because I know they aren't pleasing to God. If you do decide you need better music that praises God please check out my links on the side. And if you think that any of it isn't appropriate for a Christian to listen to, please let me know.

2 comments:

coconut Jones said...

Very nice. I totally agree! Some of the bands these days are absolutely REPULSIVE. It's a relief to be able to listen to music and not worry about people overhearing it or to not be afraid to sing the songs outloud. Even if it's a little hard to find people who know the songs you're singing... i love music too much to worry about that, though. YAY!

CloudWatcher said...

very insightful article on a topic that should be discussed more.....it is sad how many Christians listen to bad music.....but not all :)